Wednesday 8 May 2013

Kangaroo with Mango & Coconut

Exotic

palmtrees, coconuts and ... meat!

I like eating and cooking with meat. Most of the time I use beef, pork, lamb or poultry, like most people do. But once in a while I like to cook with more exotic meat. Although kangaroo, crocodile or ostrich may not sound exotic for some people, in Belgium it is. Nowadays you can buy these kinds of meat in big supermarkets like Carrefour or Delhaize.
My favorite is kangaroo, it is a dark red meat with a somewhat stronger taste. You'd think: kangaroo is from Australia which means all Australians would eat kangaroo like we would eat beef for instance. But on my trip a long the Australian east coast I learned it is a not much consumed product down under. I even met Australians who looked at me as if I was crazy because I eat kangaroo. But I've got a tasteful recipe and I bet with this dish I would convince some Aussies that kangaroo is not bad, and show them it's not crazy to eat some kangaroo once in a while. They have got p

lenty anyway!

Kangaroo with Mango & Coconut


Ingredients:

  • 350-400gr kangaroo filet
  • 1 mango, cut into slices
  • 1dl coconut milk 
  • 1dl beef broth
  • 75gr butter
  • cinnamon
  • salt & pepper
  • brown sugar (cassonade)
  • 160gr Rice (about 75-100gr per person)
  • 1 tsp Asian basil
  • chive
Preparation:
Preheat the oven on 180°C. Heat some butter in a frying pan, scorch your meat and put in the oven for about 10 minutes. You have got 10 minutes now to prepare the rest. Stark cooking your rice with the asian basil. Deglaze your frying pan with the beef broth and the coconut milk. Let your sauce reduce. In the meantime fry the mango with a tablespoon of brown sugar. When your meat is ready sieve your sauce finish with some butter and season with salt, pepper and some cinnamon.
Slice your meat and garnish with some chive.
Enjoy!






May 07, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about this?