Saturday 26 October 2013

Spaghetti alle Vongole (clams)

Mama mia!

Is the best pasta ever! (read with Italian accent)

I can not believe it took me so long to post this recipe. This is my all-time favorite pasta!
Where would you say is the perfect place to live in Italy? I'd say Ostia Antica! It is a 20min. train ride from rome and a 10min. train ride from the sea, just perfect! Growing up there when I was with my father, I spent a lot of time playing in the fields surrounding his house, and once in a while we went to the shore, Ostia Lido, for lunch or diner. And what did I always eat? Pasta Vongole!
Not only the Italian restaurants can make a killer vongole but also my father himself!
And now I am learning to make it. The recipe is simple, but somehow I can't compete with my father's spaghetti vongole. But I keep practicing.
Anyways here is the recipe, and if you should give it a try... don't hesitate to put it on Instagram and tag @eatitblog in your picture!

Pasta alle Vongole

Ingredients:

  • 1kg vongole (clams)
  • 3 to 4 garlic cloves
  • 1 small bunch of parsley
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 small dried hot red pepper
  • 400/500 gr spaghetti
  • Salt & Pepper
Preparation:
Vongole can contain some sand, and you don't want this in your pasta! Be shure to let them soak at least an hour in some salted water. Hint from my father: drop them with the open side on a clean surface and look carefully if they drop any sand. 
Start boiling slightly salted water for the pasta. 
Prepare the vongole in a large pot and on high heat, until they open. When opened turn of the heat and set aside. 
Put the spaghetti in the boiling water and cook until al dente.
While the spaghetti is cooking take a large pan and put in olive oil until the whole surface is well covered with oil. Crush the garlic and mince the hot pepper and add it to the oil on low heat (you DO NOT want the garlic to brown!) If you see the garlic is almost ready add some liquid from the the vongole and let it cook down a bit. Meanwhile chop the parsley and add half to the oil-garlic mixture.
Add the clams and the drained spaghetti and give it a good stir.
Serve with some parsley and black pepper to taste.
Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about this?